Japanese Knotweed

This continues to be in the headlines.  Fortunately, the cases in or around Cambridge are few and far between with just isolated cases having been found in Cambridge and some of the surrounding villages. There was however a lot which was found a few years ago along the Guided Busway route.

Since 2013 the sellers of properties  are required to state whether Japanese Knotweed is present on their property through a property information form used for conveyancing.  Your Conveyancer of Solicitor will be able to provide full legal advice in this respect.  The principle issues are:

  • IF YOU ARE SELLING; It is your responsibility to check the garden for Japanese Knotweed (bearing in mind that it can die back in winter). The TA6 Form asks you to confirm whether your property is affected by Japanese Knotweed and where it is, to provide a management plan for its irradiation from a professional company.
  • IF YOU ARE BUYING; The presence of Japanese Knotweed will be stated in the responses to the TA6 Form. This often results in your mortgage lender requiring assurances that it will be eradicated before agreeing to release the funds. A management plan from a professional irradiation company backed by a transferrable guarantee is usually sufficient. It is most common for this plan to be provided by the seller before the purchase is completed.

Details about invasive weed control can be found on the property care association website, here. This site also deals with issues relating to Giant Hogweed and Himalayan Balsam.